Effective date: December 12, 2018
The Marianist Province of the United States and Marianist Mission (hereafter referred as “The Marianists”, “us”, “we”, or “our”) operate marianist.com (hereinafter referred to as the “site”), marianistmission.org and marianist.com/donate (hereinafter referred to as the “services”).
The Marianists are committed to safeguarding your privacy. Contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding the use of your personal data and we will gladly assist you.
- Child: A natural person under 16 years of age
- Cookies: Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device
- Data Controller: Data controller means the natural or legal person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal information are, or are to be, processed
- Data Processors (or service providers): Data processor (or service providers) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the data controller. We may use the services of various third party service providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or user): Data subject (user) is any natural person whose personal data is being processed using our site/service
- Personal Data: Personal data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession)
- Processing: Any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data
- Site: Site is the marianist.com website operated by the Marianist Province of the United States
- Usage Data: Usage data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the site/service or from the site/service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit)
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our sites and services to you.
While using our site/services, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“personal data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, state, province, ZIP/Postal code, city
We may also collect anonymous demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your ZIP code, age, gender, preferences, interests and favorites.
We may also collect information on how the site/service is accessed and used (“usage data”). This usage data may include information such as your computer’s internet protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our site/service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Information Collected from Registered Users
We collect information when you create an account on our sites, edit your account information, donate to a mission, submit a prayer request, or make a purchase, as described below.
When you complete a form on our sites, we collect basic information about you – your name and email address.
Making a Donation or Purchase of Products or Services
When you make an online donation on marianist.com/donate (or any of our donation sites), we collect personal data such as your name, billing address, and email address, if you have not previously provided these details during a prior session. We collect information about your donation, including the mission you are donating to and the amount of your donation. We also collect (but do not retain) credit card numbers which are processed by a third-party payment vendor.
Donations in Honor/Memory of Someone
When you make a donation in honor or memory of a loved one, we collect payment and contact information about you, as well as the name, email address, and mailing address of the recipient. You may create a personal message to the recipient, which is stored on our servers. Except in the limited circumstances described below, we do not read or use your personal messages.
Use of Information
The Marianists uses the personal data that you provide or we obtain, and the technical information logged by our servers to process your donations, to:
- Process your donations or purchases, contact you regarding any questions related to your donation. Use of this data is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us in connection with your donation. If you do not provide the necessary data to us or our payment service provider, we will not be able to process your donation.
- Send you updates on how your donation has been used, project appeals, newsletters, events, matching opportunities, information about the Marianists and projects we think we think will be of interest to you. We will we will only send you this information by email if you consent to us doing so at the time you provide us with your personal data. You may opt out of receiving such emails by following the instructions contained in each email we send you.
As necessary for certain legitimate interests, which include the following:
- Notify your friends and family about your donation in their honor if you ask us to;
- Using the technical information logged by our servers when you visit our sites (described above) to improve your experience on our sites (such as remembering your name, the items in your cart, or your preferences) and preventing fraudulent activity;
- If you ask us to delete your data or to be removed from our marketing lists and we are required to fulfil your request, we will keep basic data to identify you and prevent further unwanted processing;
- Operate the site and our business; and
- Compile aggregate statistics that allow us to understand how visitors or registered users use our site, and to make improvements in design and content to better serve you.
Legal basis for processing personal data under the general data protection regulation (GDPR)
The Marianists may process your personal data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
- To comply with the law
Retention of Data
The Marianists will also retain usage data for internal analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our site/service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including personal data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including personal data, to United States and process it there.
We do not share your personal data with strangers. Personal data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted partners (“service providers and/or vendors”) in order to either make providing the service to you possible or to enhance your customer experience. We share your data with:
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our site/services to connect (“service providers”), provide the site/service on our behalf, perform site/service-related services or assist us in analyzing how our site/service is used.
These third parties have access to your personal data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the site/service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
The payment processors we work with are:
Our processing partners:
For a detailed list of the internal and third party cookies that are used on this site, we encourage you to visit the partner websites noted above.
Disclosure of Data
Disclosure for law enforcement
Under certain circumstances, the Marianists may be required to disclose your personal data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
The Marianists may disclose your personal data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of the Marianists
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the site/service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the site/service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security of Data
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected personal data from children without verification of parental consent, we will take immediate steps to remove that information from our servers.
The Marianist Province of the United States
4425 West Pine Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63108
For Donations/Memorial Gifts:
By phone: (800) 348-4732
Attn: Coding Department
PO Box 340998
Dayton, OH 45434-0998
Last modification was made: December 13, 2018.